Readers of this blog will be aware that the Welshpool & Llanfair Light Railway has a small fleet of heritage goods wagons. When the line was first preserved only a small proportion of the rolling stock could be preserved and anyway not all of it had survived until the second half of the twentieth century.
The Carriage & Wagon Team lead by ‘JB’ are currently building a replica of one of the five private owner wagons that belonged to JLL Peate & Sons who were coal and lime merchants.
Wagon Number 2 photographed at R&Y Pickering’s works in 1903
A general view showing the two solebars lying on the trestles. Leaning against the wall on the right are the cross members.
JB cutting tenons on the end of one of the solebars
A trial assembly of the headstocks and solebars
The original wagons were scrapped in 1935 and the only known surviving relic is a Cambrian Railways registration plate. All the iron work has had to be made from scratch. In this photograph one of the new ‘W’ irons is having the fixing holes drilled.
A closer view of the ‘W’ iron being drilled.
To be continued