I will start this report with a mention of the dreadful weather that we experienced during the week commencing 10th June 2019. The author of this blog was at the Welshpool & Llanfair Light Railway on the Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday that week.
On the Tuesday the rain was incessant. The only way to have kept dry was to have stayed in Keyes Cottage all day, but, we had a railway to operate. It was more a question of how wet were we going to get.
Joan was rostered to work the service on Tuesday and Wednesday. Countess was undergoing a boiler washout, 28 day mechanical inspection and subsequent steam test.
I was rostered as Driver 2 all three days. On Tuesday afternoon, as we made our way towards Welshpool with the 15:30 ex Llanfair, we found that just east of Cyfronydd a branch was sagging due to the additional weight of rain water. We squeezed underneath but on the way back stopped. Using the tools carried in the Guard’s compartment of the train we were able to cut it down the offending vegetation and remove the hazard. In the photo above my fireman ‘Cushty’ is disposing of the cuttings.
By Wednesday water was appearing at several places along the line where the drains were struggling to cope. Between Mill Curves and School Mistress’ cottage there was a severe wet patch. Two of us were despatched by car to investigate. We had a go at clearing the drain, but with three feet of water in the inlet pit, finding the pipe was a lost cause. To alleviate the problem a very temporary relief channel was dug.
Early the next morning we installed a couple of drain pipes.
On the Friday the Track Gang attended the site and being equipped with a comprehensive set of tools managed to get the drain flowing once more.
The temporary pipes were removed and the sleepers in that area repacked. Many thanks to Alan for the photos of the Friday operation.
The guys in the machine shop have been busy producing parts for Sir Drefaldwyn.
In this video JG is welding side cheeks onto band new spring hanger hooks.
A photo of the same operation.
Finished and partly finished spring hanger hooks. The hook goes over the end of the spring and depending on the location on the loco the spring hanger proper is pinned either to the main frames or and equalising beam.
Hoagy is winding a horn stay stud into the frame. The studs are of a non-preferred size M23! and a special tap had to be made to clean out threads in the frame.
That is all for now